The appearance of your skin has the power to affect your confidence and is typically a reflection of your overall health. And often, when acne starts appearing on our skin, it can impact your self-esteem or be a sign of an underlying health issue. That’s why tackling skin care in a more holistic sense is essential to ensure long-term clear skin health.
One of the ways to achieve this is to broaden your knowledge of how to improve your skin’s condition. To give you a headstart, we give you insight into the cause of acne and how to prevent it for a healthier and more radiant skin.
What Causes Acne?
Contrary to popular belief, acne does not just affect adolescents, but it can affect individuals of all ages. Several factors contribute to acne, which include:
- Excess sebum production
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Environmental factors
How to Prevent Acne
Acne prevention starts with a holistic approach to skincare and lifestyle. Here are some effective tips to keep acne at bay.
- Maintain a Healthy Diet - Diet has a big role in your skin health. As such, maintain a diet with mostly fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins so that you have the essential vitamins and antioxidants to support skin health. Avoid excessive sugary and processed foods, as they can trigger acne breakouts by increasing insulin levels and promoting inflammation.
- Protect Skin from the Sun - Sun exposure can worsen acne and lead to scarring. Make sunscreen with at least SPF 30 a part of your daily skincare routine. Look for non-comedogenic sunscreen to avoid clogging pores. Additionally, consider wearing a wide-brimmed hat and seeking shade during peak sun hours to further shield your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Avoid Constantly Touching the Face - Our hands carry countless germs and bacteria. Frequently touching your face can transfer these impurities to your skin, resulting in breakouts and irritation. Be mindful of this habit and resist the urge to touch your face unnecessarily. If you must touch your face, ensure your hands are clean, and try to do so as gently as possible to minimise skin irritation.
- Manage Stress - Stress is known to worsen acne as it can slow down healing. When your acne healing slows down, the pimple stays longer and is more susceptible to becoming more severe. To prevent this, make it a habit to incorporate stress-relief techniques, like meditation or deep breathing techniques, into your daily routine. These practices not only help reduce stress but also improve overall well-being.
- Maintain Consistent Skincare - A consistent skincare routine is essential for acne prevention. Cleanse your face twice daily with a gentle, pH-balanced cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. Use products that are suited for your specific skin type and concerns, and be wary of harsh chemicals that can strip the skin of its natural oils. Moreover, moisturise your face with a non-comedogenic moisturiser to maintain skin barrier function without clogging pores. Learn more about finding the perfect skincare products for your specific needs.
Let Our EGF Serum Be a Part of Your Skincare Routine
Overall, it's important to remember that consistency is key when it comes to skincare. Otherism understands that a well-rounded skincare regimen is key to acne prevention and achieving clear skin. That's why we recommend incorporating our EGF (Epidermal Growth Factor) serum into your routine. EGF serum is known for its ability to stimulate skin regeneration, reduce inflammation, and promote a healthier complexion. It also acts as a hyaluronic face serum that helps maintain skin hydration, keeping it supple and youthful. Incorporating EGF serum into your skincare routine can help you achieve the clear and healthy skin you desire.
For more skincare information, you can also check out our lifestyle tips for better skin health.